CHAPTER
4
A STAR IS BORN
As The
Wanderers Team were all sat in the bar having a drink, Nathaniel Thomas the
Club Chairman got up on a table to say a few words to the Players.
"Right
everybody fantastic performance today and a great win, it puts us top of the
table tonight with three games left to play" Nathaniel Thomas shouted out........
The local radio
presenter Mathew Thomas was there reporting on the game for the local paper The
Cronical, as he had often done during the summer Months and he wrote in his
article for the following days issue.
The Wanderers
have found themselves a new star in the name of Clinton James-Rowe or Radford
as he know would like to be known as a mark of respect to his late father
Wanderers player James Radford who was a star himself many years ago.
Radford came to
the wicket when the score was one hundred and forty for six and was still on
zero, when he was joined by Rail Patel at the fall of the ninth wicket with the
score on one hundred and sixty one for nine. Clinton Radford and Rail Patel
then made easy work of scoring runs, Radford himself taking Hamilton Junctions
6ft 8in West Indian Joel Henderson for twenty one in one over which included
two sixes hit out of the ground and two fours that were stroked to the boundary
with some class effortlessly, the two sixes being hit out of the ground by some
way never before seen at the Town Oval before............
Clinton Radford
stroked and smashed his way to a fine eighty four not out, he showed in
glimpses some effortless grace in his shots and The wanderers ended up on two
hundred and eighty one for nine in there fifty over’s, a very competitive total
to say the least ..........................
This was not
the end of the Clinton Radford story, with the Hamilton Junction score on
ninety five for naught, Radford pulled off what only be called one of the
greatest catches ever seen at the Town Oval, when he caught Hamilton Junctions
opening batsman Robbie Mitchell at cover point...........
The ball was
hit no further than six inches off the ground and going like a bullet to the
boundary and diving to his left one handed like a salmon to pouch the catch...
Radford then
came on to bowl what can only be described as mixed spin, a mixture of off-spin
and the occasional leg -spin......................................
It was with his ninth that
Radford had Hamilton Junction's number Three batsman bowled around his legs by
a leg spinner, next to go was number four batsman who was caught off his bat
and pad at short leg with a sharply spinning ball that bounced for naught, the
hat trick duly came when Radford had Hamilton Junction's number six batsman
bowled with a classic off spinners delivery, the ball pitching just outside off
stump and bowling the batsman through the gap between bat and pad, but that was
not the end as Radford picked up Hamilton Junction's number seven batsman
caught a backward square leg sweeping for naught .......................
Joel Henderson came in and took twenty four off a Radford over, hitting the last four balls high over the boundary for four sixes, Hamilton Junction then put together a partnership of sixty five before the big hitting Henderson was undone by a Radford leg spinner caught at long on for fifty eight, number nine was then bowled around his legs for naught, John Gill then polished off the tail with the last three wickets to end the match with four wickets and the debutant Radford picking up six wickets and The Wanderers won by seventy two runs .......................
Unaware of the article in the following morning’s paper, Clinton, Isabella, and the rest of the team enjoyed a good night of laughter, chat and drinking.......................
Joel Henderson came in and took twenty four off a Radford over, hitting the last four balls high over the boundary for four sixes, Hamilton Junction then put together a partnership of sixty five before the big hitting Henderson was undone by a Radford leg spinner caught at long on for fifty eight, number nine was then bowled around his legs for naught, John Gill then polished off the tail with the last three wickets to end the match with four wickets and the debutant Radford picking up six wickets and The Wanderers won by seventy two runs .......................
Unaware of the article in the following morning’s paper, Clinton, Isabella, and the rest of the team enjoyed a good night of laughter, chat and drinking.......................
Chelsea was sat
with Oliver Kennedy reminiscing about their old school days; Clinton thinking
all the while, how happy his mother looked tonight with Oliver Kennedy
alongside her and was Oliver Kennedy his mother’s knight in shining armor, only
time would tell..................................................
“Chelsea” Oliver Kennedy asked….
“Chelsea” Oliver Kennedy asked….
“Yes Oliver can
I help you” replied Chelsea with a smile on her face ……
“Chelsea you
know I have always had a thing about you” Oliver said with a great big smile ……
“Well, I did
have a feeling you did when we were in school” Chelsea replied with some embarrassment
but joy in her voice …..
“O is that
right you did, did you, are you doing anything next Friday night” Oliver
replied with a smile on his face knowing full well Chelsea was doing nothing ……
“Why do you ask
Mr. Kennedy” asked Chelsea with a great big smile on her face knowing full well
why he had asked ……
Well Chelsea, I
would like to take you out for dinner if you are up for it” Oliver said with a
chuckle and smiling all the while ……
“No I’m not
doing anything next Friday Mr. Kennedy, but remember I am still a married
woman, but yes I would love to” replied Chelsea smiling all over her face with
glee ……
“Well from
Monday I don’t think you will be” Oliver replied …..
“What do you
mean by that” replied Chelsea ……………
“Well I have
heard what has happened the last week and I have made you an appointment with a
divorce lawyer by the name of Miss Heather Middleton-Roberts at J.P.O’Sullivan solicitors,
I hope you don’t mind me helping” replied Oliver to this question asked of him
……
“No I don’t
mind and thanks and what time Monday and next Friday” said Chelsea
“The
appointment on Monday is at eleven thirty in the morning and seven thirty in
the evening Friday I’ll pick you up from your parents yes” replied Oliver ……
“Great and yes
from my parents’ house thanks” replied Chelsea
Chelsea just
looked at Oliver in the eyes and nodded her head and carried on drinking her
vodka and coke while have a great time …..
Clinton looked
at her and thought he had never seen her, this happy before …..
The following
morning as the Thompson family was sat at the dining room table for breakfast;
Chelsea looked up at the rest of the family and then proceeded to say.
Oliver has got
me in to see a divorce Lawyer tomorrow; I'm going to file for a divorce from
Curtis of the grounds of battery"
"Not
before time my girl" replied her mother Georgia...
"Have you
got the photos of the last attack mother" asked Clinton....
"Yes I do
thank you Clinton, don't worry" replied Chelsea....
"That's
good Mother" replied Clinton.....
"What time
is your appointment Love" Asked Georgia...
"Eleven
thirty in the morning, at J.P.O'Sullivan & Co Partners in Law, with a woman
by the name of Miss Heather Middleton-Roberts" Chelsea replied....
"Is Oliver
going with you" Asked Clinton....
"Yes he is
my dear" replied Chelsea.....
"Is this
Lawyer any good" Asked Reg in a deep husky voice......
"I believe
she is; she dealt with a female client of Oliver's divorce, so yes I believe
she is good" replied Chelsea with a smile.....
And with that
the Thompson family started to eat their breakfast before the day ahead, which
for Clinton was to start with a nice surprise......
Clinton had arranged
to meet Isabella in the afternoon and go for a picnic at the lakes and was
getting himself ready, when there was a knock at the front door, his mother
Chelsea answered it and it was Mathew Thomas the cricket correspondent for the
local paper.
A voice shouted
"CLINTON IT IS THAT REPORTER FROM THE LOCAL PAPER HE WANT'S TO DO AN
INTERVIEW WITH YOU ABOUT YESTERDAY'S GAME IF THATS OK" Asked Chelsea .....
"OK I will
be down in a moment" replied Clinton as he was looking in the mirror
brushing his hair.....
"OK"
Chelsea relied with a shout.....
Chelsea then
turned to Matthew Thomas and said "Please do come in Mr. Thomas, Clinton
will be down in a moment" with a smile....
"Thank you
Mrs. James-Rowe" Matthew Thomas replied.....
Clinton
finished brushing his hair and then came down the stairs from his room and into
the study to me Matthew Thomas.....
Clinton then
proceeded to walk over to Matthew Thomas and shook his hand...
"Hi Mr.
Thomas very nice to meet you and how you doing this bright and sunshiny Sunday
morning" said Clinton with some glee and joy in his voice....
"I am fine
Mr. Radford or is it James-Rowe or do you mind if I call you Clinton"
replied Matthew Thomas to Clinton's question.....
"Clinton
will do just fine and it is Radford as from yesterday and I am a bit pushed for
time I have a lunch date, so what can I do for you" replying to Matthew
Thomas' question with a great big smile on his face ..
"This
won't take long, just a short interview for tomorrow's edition, to go with the
report on the game I have done" Matthew Thomas replied with a smile.....
"Ok what;
would you like to know" Asked Clinton as they both sat down.....
"Well
question one, how did you get into the game of cricket" asked Matthew Thomas....
"Well it's
quite simple, it was while I was playing in the garden here at my
Grandparent's" replied Clinton with a bit of a chuckle....
"Good,
Good, How did you feel about you performance against Hamilton Junction on your
debut on Saturday and taking on Joel Henderson" asked Matthew Thomas with
some anticipation for the answer....
"Well it
was very intimidating, he sure is a big guy" Clinton replied with a laugh
and a smile....
"Yes, he
sure is that" Matthew Thomas replied....
"But how
did it feel to hit him out of the ground, not once but twice for six"
asked Matthew Thomas chuckling to himself....
"What is
so funny Mr. Thomas" asked Clinton.....
"Nothing"
replied Matthew Thomas....
"I felt on
top of the world, it felt brilliant, He is a very nice guy to" replied
Clinton with a laugh and a smile on his face....
"So then
what are you ambition" asked Matthew Thomas.....
"To one
day play for England in the Ashes" replied Clinton
"That's
some ambition, do you think you can do it" asked Matthew Thomas
"Well some
of us have to have high expectations of ourselves and yes I think I can do
it" Clinton replied with some joy in his voice and a big smile on his face....
"We sure
do" replied Matthew Thomas with a chuckle in his voice....
"Right
then Clinton, I think that's all I have and thank you for the interview"
Matthew Thomas said....
"You’re
welcome" replied Clinton....
With that
Clinton showed Matthew Thomas to the door and shook his hand and said
"Thank you"
"No thank
you" replied Matthew Thomas and with that they parted ways....
Clinton shut
the front door and then smiled and started thinking about the wonderful
afternoon he was going to spend with Isabella the beautiful woman in his life....
That afternoon
Clinton and Isabella went out for a romantic picnic at the local lake, a picnic
that his mother Chelsea and his grandmother Georgia had done for him of
sandwiches, cakes, some fruit and some soft drinks in a lovely new picnic basket
that his grandmother had given to her for her birthday.
It was a lovely
mid-August afternoon and the sun was shining brightly and Clinton and Isabella
were sat eating their picnic, laughing and joking with each other, it was at
this picnic that they discovered that they really were in love with each other.
Clinton and
Isabella looked into each other’s eyes, with Isabella whispering to Clinton “I
love you” with a great big smile on her face …..
Clinton stared
back nodded his head and said “don’t you know when I hold you I feel the same,
I love you to Isabella Thomas” with a great big smile on his face and his eyes
glinting as he was welling up, they then came together in a passionate embrace
and their lips locked together and they kissed passionately ……
As the
afternoon wore on their love for each other becoming more and more evident as
they held hand and kissed like a young couple in love, Clinton then turned to
Isabella and said.
“Your eighteen
soon aren’t you” Clinton asked with a smile on his face …..
“Yes I am on
twenty sixth of September” replied Isabella with joy in her voice then asked ….
“And you are
seventeen the day after why do you ask” Isabella replied …..
“Well I was
wondering if you would like to come to Ireland for a few days, just the two of
us” Clinton replied with joy in his voice and a great big smile on his face ….
Isabella then
replied with a great big smile on her face “I would love to” ….
Clinton then
replied “Ok I’ll get mother to book it tomorrow” smiling all over his face at
the thought of spending a few days with the love of his life and the most
beautiful woman in the world….
It would also
give Clinton a chance to catch up with his best friend and old school friend by
the name of Russ Jones, who had moved to Ireland some six months before after
they had finished school, It would also give Clinton a chance to achieve one of
his dreams and visit The giant’s Causeway a beautiful place that it is….
Clinton and
Isabella then enjoyed the rest of their afternoon and romantic picnic, before
spending the night watching a film at the cinema ……
The following
day Chelsea took a visit with Oliver Kennedy to see divorce lawyer Miss Heather
Middleton-Roberts about getting a divorce from Curtis James-Rowe.
Chelsea and
Oliver turned up at J.P.O’Sullivan & Co partners in Law and were lead
straight into the office of Miss Middleton-Roberts ….
“Hello Heather
how are you doing today” asked Oliver with a brisk sharp voice ….
“Hello Oliver
I’m fine thank you” replied Miss Middleton-Roberts ….
“And you must
be Mrs. James-Rowe” Miss Middleton-Roberts asked turning to Chelsea ….
“Yes and it is
Chelsea thanks, if you do not mind” Chelsea replied with a smile ….
“OK Chelsea it
is then, please take a seat and we will have a chat and make a start on things”
Miss Middleton-Roberts replied ….
“Oliver here
tells me you would like a divorce from your husband” Miss Middleton-Roberts
asked…..
“Yes that is
correct, he has been beating me for years and my eldest boy Clinton to” replied
Chelsea with anger in her voice to the question asked of her.…
“Right OK, do
you have any evidence to the beatings you have had with you” asked Miss
Middleton-Roberts ….
“Yes I do, I
have some photos of the last attack last week, and my son took them” replied
Chelsea with a quiet voice and some sorrow ….
“OK may I see
them” asked Miss Middleton-Roberts ….
Chelsea then
pulled a large brown envelope out of her handbag and handed it over to Miss
Middleton-Rowe, her hand shaking all the while as the nerves had got to her.
“Ok, I see very
nasty, well on this evidence alone I believe you have a good case for divorce
on unreasonable behavior” replied Miss Middleton-Roberts ….
“Right then
Chelsea, I’ll do all the paperwork this afternoon, pop it around to you for you
to sign while I’m on my way home and file it with the court in the morning and
we will take it from there OK” said Miss Middleton-Roberts ….
“Thanks for all
your help” Chelsea replied with some relief in her voice ….
“And Oliver has
already paid the bill in advance, so no need to worry about that, so see you
later and we will take it from there” Miss Middleton-Roberts said ….
Chelsea turned
and looked at Oliver and said “You shouldn’t have paid, mum and dad would have
given me the money” with a look of shock in her face ….
Oliver then
replied “It was my pleasure, if only to get you away from that beast of a man”
With some anger in his voice ….
Oliver and
Chelsea both got up and shook Miss Middleton-Roberts by the hand and left the
office to go back to the Thompson household.
Back at the
Thompson household the family was sat around the table having afternoon tea
with Isabella, when Clinton turned to his mother and asked ….
“Mother please
could you do me a favor and book myself and Isabella a trip to Ireland we only
need a flight and transfers to Donegal as I’ll give Russ Jones a call tonight
and see if we can stay with him at his parents farm while we are there”
“Yes, Ok son I
will do that tonight for you over the internet, what date’s do you want and I
hope you have a great time” replied Chelsea …
“Twenty fifth
September to Twenty ninth September, so we will be away for both out birthdays”
Clinton replied ….
“Ok Clinton no
problem, I will do that for you, but just make sure it is Ok with Isabella’s
parents” replied Chelsea ….
“It’s fine with
my parent’s Mrs. James-Rowe, I have already asked them
Yesterday when
Clinton asked me to go with him to Ireland” replied Isabella
With a very
happy look, on her face.
“Ok no problem
consider it done and don’t worry about paying for it, it is my treat and no
arguments” Chelsea replied with a smile …..
It was a trip
that both Isabella and Clinton would remember for the rest of their lives and
Clinton would spring a big surprise on Isabella on her eighteenth birthday….
No comments:
Post a Comment